Pick-Me-Up Peanut Butter Toast
- 1 slice 9- or 12-grain bread, toasted
- 2 teaspoons peanut butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon honey
- Mix peanut butter with honey and spread onto toast. (Tip: Reduce peanut butter by half and smash two slices of leftover banana as a substitute.)
French Toast Bonfire
- 2 slices hearty wheat bread
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons 1 percent milk
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar substitute (in the yellow packets)
- 1 splash vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup frozen strawberries, defrosted
- Light whipped cream
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet (or saute pan) to medium.
- While the skillet is preheating, lightly beat the egg whites, milk, sugar substitute, vanilla and salt in a shallow container.
- Slice the bread into thirds and dunk each slice into the egg mixture on both sides (don't overdo it, or your bread will be soggy; make sure the whole slice is coated).
- Cook the coated bread slices on each side until the egg has browned. (Do not press the bread; this will squeeze out the coating mixture and leave you with limp toast.)
- Stack the French toast sticks in a bonfire-like arrangement. Top with strawberries and whipped cream.
Light Tuna-Nut Salad Open-Faced Sandwiches
- 4 slices nutty wheat bread, toasted
- 1 package (6.4 ounces) chunk light tuna in water
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pinch dried dill weed (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix tuna, mayonnaise, walnuts and cranberries. Add dill weed, salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon one quarter of the mixture onto each slice of toast.
Avocado Gobble-Gobble Sandwich
- 1 whole-grain bun
- 1 tablespoon fresh avocado, mashed
- 2 thin slices deli turkey (approximately 1.5 ounces)
- 1 slice turkey bacon, cooked crispy
- 1 thin slice beefsteak tomato
- 1 leaf romaine lettuce
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mash the avocado (with salt and pepper, as desired) to create a creamy paste.
- Spread the avocado paste onto bread or toast.
- Top with deli turkey, turkey bacon (cut in half), tomato, lettuce and cheese.
Healthy English Muffin Pizzas
- 1 wheat English muffin, split
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pizza or spaghetti sauce (leftover is great)
- 3 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices turkey pepperoni
- Spread half the sauce on each English muffin half.
- Top each "pizza" with half the mozzarella, and add two slices of pepperoni to each.
- Broil until cheese is melted.
Veggie-Lover's Delight Sammy
- 2 slices oat nut bread
- 1 tablespoon Neufchatel cheese
- Dried dillweed, salt and pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 slices cucumber
- 1 slice fresh red bell pepper
- 4 slices Roma tomato
- 1 small handful alfalfa sprouts
- If desired, toast bread.
- Mix Neufchatel cheese with dill weed, salt and pepper, and spread half onto each slice of bread.
- Top one slice of bread with half the sprouts, tomato, bell pepper and cucumber (in that order).
- Place the rest of the sprouts on top of the cucumber, then top with the second slice of bread. (Using this order will help the sandwich stay together better. For best results, place a small amount of sprouts between the pepper and cucumber).
It's about making healthy choices
As you can see, bread isn't a no-no. While only a nutritionist under a doctor's supervision can tell you exactly what's right for you, most people just need to eat a healthy, balanced diet that's low in fat, with at least half the grains as whole wheat.